Monday, April 9, 2012

Little Bloggy Questions!

Phew! Let me tell you how excited I was to see that Tessa from Tales from Outside the Classroom, Tamera from My Heart Belongs in First, and Kelly from All That Glitters In First Grade tagged me to answer some of their little bloggy questions! Thanks so much for taking interest in me and my little teaching blog...it truly gives me so much motivation to continue working to provide more ideas and freebies for fellow teachers! 

Rather than answering 30 questions (I don't know if anyone is THAT interested in learning about me!) I chose a smattering of questions from these three fantastic ladies!

1. Who made the biggest impact on your decision to become a teacher?
This one is easy for me to answer! The kids...our future leaders! I absolutely love teaching, but during moments of doubt, frustration, or exhaustion I am reminded of this calling when I see the way our world functions and the values our culture has put on a pedestal. It makes me think "Wow, it is absolutely my responsibility to help shape our future leaders so they may make positive impressions in their own communities." Whatever their impact, both big and small, it makes me giddy to think that I am a small part in that 'big picture' down the road!
2. What is your favorite thing to teach?
I don't know if I necessarily have a favorite subject, but it is my passion to teach with cross-content integration. I love to see how many connections my little ones make when their phonics objective, reading skill, writing tasks, and math problems require them to make use of the knowledge they are learning during a Social Studies or Science unit!
3. What is your favorite thing to do outside of school?
 Outside of school?? What is this thing you speak of?! Just kidding...kind of.
Ok, for real...I love to run, cook (and of course EAT!), and spend time with family and friends. Until recently, I used to be the kind of person who ran everyday, religiously, and for many many miles. I have run long distances for what seems like forever. I had a bad accident in college that forced me to abandon my active lifestyle for about 6 months. After bouncing back from that loo-hong recovery I had a new appreciation for the ability to run and completed a few half marathons and marathons. Recently, however, I have lost my best running buddy due to his full time job and night classes to complete his masters degree. This has had an adverse effect on my motivation and running schedule!
4. How do you find a balance between work and school?
See above question. I am probably not the best to ask for advice on this subject! When my long, lost running buddy comes to see me after his own never-ending work days, he tells me to quit it...in the nicest way possible of course! He cares about my sanity.
5. McSteamy or McDreamy or McDonald's?
McSammy. From West Wing. Gosh, he is just so good looking. Do you know who I am talking about? Look him up...it's so worth a look. 
6. What are you planning on doing over the summer?
Since I teach on a year-round schedule my longest break is only 6 more school days away! This break will be THREE WHOLE WEEKS! I am considering this break to be my fake-summer break. I am planning on cooking a nice dinner almost every night, making new drapes for my living room, and going on a little North Carolina beach vacay!
7.  Do you have a classroom pet? If so, what kind?
It is against our school rules to have a class pet, but to be perfectly honest, it is not a cause for complaint in my book. I figure I have enough little ones to take care of each day at school, and they love to bring in their own little critters, of the cuddly variety, from home to play with our classroom "pets" (stuffed animals!) 
8. If you could visit one place in the US, where would it be?
There is this one place in Virginia where you stay on this tiny private "island" of sorts. You have to canoe to your living space where you have your own small cabin. Now before you think this sounds like I have a desire to rough it...I should tell you that a private chef comes and visits to cook you dinner at the water's edge each night. It's my dream vacation!
9. What's your favorite color? (I'm running out of question ideas!)
My favorite colors are either pink, yellow, or navy with grey. I love grey!
10. What are you addicted to?
Coffee! One hundred percent. I drink three things: coffee, water, and err, juice:) I stay moving, dancing, and singing all day with my little ones. I truly don't know if I would be quite so patient without my morning cuppa-calm!

And now comes the time to pass the torch with my own little bloggy questions. I can't wait to learn more about some of the people I love to visit and read about!

My questions for y'all are:
1. Do you have a daily routine that gets you excited to start your work day?
2. What do you like to bring for lunch?
3. Have you always taught the same grade level? How often have you switched?
4. How do you like to recharge on the weekend?
5.  Choose 3 adjectives to describe your class. Is that why you love them so much?!
6. What's your best strategy for motivating your kids?
7. What is the most important lesson you have learned from your students?
8. How has your teaching style changed since you first started teaching?
9. Where do you like to vacation? Beach or mountains?
10. Favorite restaurant AND favorite dish. I hope I can replicate it!


My tags go to Jennifer from First Grade Blue Skies, Jackie at Here We Go Loopty Loo, and Mrs. Nichols from The Polka Dot Patch. Thanks to you all for sharing your bloggy teaching ideas to benefit little ones everywhere!!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for tagging me! I will try my best to get to those questions soon! I am a new follower! =)
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm your newest follower! I found you off of TBA's First Grade Blogs. Looking forward to reading what you have to write!

    Judy

    ♥Teaching Little Apples♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen,
    OMG! I don't watch West Wing, but Rob Lowe has been eye candy since as long as I can remember. He is kinda like Dick Clark - doesn't age & only becomes more handsome.
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete