Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Place Value Marathon!

Phew! So this is my first year teaching with The Common Core, and I have *finally* finished the marathon of teaching place value to my smarty pants batch of first graders!

Puzzling Place Value Packet

A couple months ago I was laying out my plans for 2nd quarter, and I realized that this unit was going to be some kind of long! I definitely needed to revamp how I pace the teaching of place value to allow time for my students to gain an in-depth knowledge of this important math concept. 

I was super excited after creating weeks and weeks worth of differentiated, guided math centers that I knew would challenge my little ones, and allow them to have fun with their math writing and problem solving skills!

Meet the "Puzzling Place Value Packet" and a little freebie just for y'all:)

Puzzling Place Value Packet

I have an hour math block to fit in A TON of learning! How long do y'all have to teach math? I'm sure you feel like it's not enough time too! To assist me in fitting in a lot of learning in a short amount of time I begin each day of math with a short mini lesson (think 10 minutes) with the whole class. Then, we move into our guided math rotations. I meet with 2 of 3 guided math groups every day! While I'm meeting with a math group the other groups are computating away in their math centers! Here is a sample of some of the place value practice activities we completed over the course of a few weeks!

Here my kids are working with their math partners to group their differentiated numeral cards by groups of 100's, 10's, and 1's. They did such a neat job representing place value with hundreds grids, ten frames, and extra ones!

More samples of the fun game "Place Value Pile-Up"


My little ones loved making these place value foldables! It was extremely helpful in providing another opportunity to think about representing numerals in a variety of ways while also focusing on place value and even how place value relates to dimes and pennies!!


This is my "teacher model." Are you ready to see their stuff?! They all turned out so great! Such math stars!

A few student samples hanging happily in the hallway!




I LOVE writing! So of course, there is a "work on writing" station for math centers every week!



This is my teacher model to guide students who might have a hard time getting started. Kiddos are encouraged to choose their own numbers before switching a reading their riddle to a buddy!




So I love this one...Place Value Puzzle! This was a new activity I developed this year where kids must take the numbers I have provided and discover all the possible combinations of expanded form. Phew! This one was a challenge, but they all got it with some good teamwork!
 






 I hope you enjoy a sampling of just a few of my class's place value activities that we used over the course of our marathon-lengthed place value unit! We have all mastered this concept and are now well on our way to using place value to be efficient math problem solvers!

Now for your freebie:)

Place Value Bubble Map


  


Hope y'all enjoy my ideas for place value!!


















5 comments:

  1. We are working on place value right now. Thanks for the post great ideas. I have nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award! Head over to my blog to find out more http://morethanmathbymo.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful idea! I added your unit to my wishlist on TPT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz for your kind words! I'm so glad to hear that some of my ideas for learning about place value were helpful to you!

      Delete
  3. Ellen, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your place value ideas are GREAT!!!I always love new ideas to use with my firsties!!! I'm a new follower! Have a great day!
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place value bubble map is GREAT! Thanks for the freebie :)

    Just found your blog!

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete